Eh.....my mind has that cloudy, spacey feeling again and I automatically try to find an explanation for it. Maybe it's the weather, maybe it has to do with being sick, just getting over my period, etc. I've realized something. I do this because my biggest fear is that the meds have stopped working again. It's frustrating how psychiatric meds periodically need adjustments because they seem to lose their effectiveness over time. Some require a dosage increase while some require a complete change of medication. I don't know if our bodies develop tolerance to the medications. I guess it varies. Anyway, I've only been on this current medication cocktail for two months so I really don't want to change anything. I guess looking for excuses like being sick or having "that time of the month" makes sense because they really can screw with your emotions. It has been a difficult week for me. For a short while, I feared I might be pregnant. Then my period came and I came down with a nasty cold. When that subsided, I began having toothaches again. Monday and Tuesday were the worst. The pain wasn't constant, but when it came on it throbbed like crazy. A few nights I swooshed whiskey around in my mouth to numb the pain, along with Advil and Orajel. It still doesn't change the fact that I'm going to have to have it pulled.
Not many people know this, but I'm all too familiar with abscessed teeth and pain. In fact, my front teeth got so bad I had to have them all pulled and now I wear a full denture. I've had it for a few years and it was the best thing I ever got done. I can eat pretty much the same things I always have, just have to be extra careful. Biting into an apple is probably not the wisest choice but I can chop it up. I've known for awhile that my lower teeth would have the same destiny. It's too late to save what's left of them, and there are only 9 of my bottom teeth left. Now a lower denture will be much more difficult to adjust to then an upper. Right now I don't need any dental adhesives like Fixodent for the top because they stay in place quite well(I may down the line as my gums shrink), but I most likely will have to when I have a bottom denture done. I think that's part of the reason I've put off getting the rest of the work done, because once I do, there's no going back. And who wants to go to the dentist when their teeth aren't bothering them, anyway? But I've been foolish to put it off for so long, especially considering that I'm extremely lucky to have excellent dental insurance through my work. Now my dentists are actually kind of snobby and condescending, (and I'm not the only one who thinks like this!) but they do an excellent job so it's something I'll have to put up with. The many "I told you so"s, etc. But to wait until I'm practically in unbearable pain from tooth problems is ridiculous.
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I'm right there with you, had full dentures for a couple of years now. I sure don't miss the occasional root canals, abcessed teeth, inability to eat ice cream, etc.
ReplyDeleteI agree, if you need to get the rest pulled, why wait? I'm a happy (albeit toothless) camper. :)
For me, I just worry about how much time I need to take off work. But you have a bottom denture as well? Is it really hard to adjust to?
ReplyDeleteThat's true, I was out for a few days, but I kept bleeding. You may not have that problem. I had the top first, then about a year later pulled the bottom ones (the ones that were left anyway). The bottom was actually easier for me to get used to than the top, probably because the top covers the roof of my mouth, and the bottom just covers the gum area.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing we have in common! Rubbish teeth!
ReplyDeleteI hope you managed to get it sorted out soon, there is no pain worse than tooth pain i think.
Thanks! <3
ReplyDeleteYou betcha! :)
ReplyDelete